Frequently Asked Questions

Browse Some of Our Most Frequently Asked Questions

For New Residents

I’m new to Haus. What should I expect in the first month under Haus’ management?

To get started, you’ll need to set up your resident account. You will need to have a government issued ID and supply us with your home address so that we can verify your identity. Once you have created your account, you will have access to our Resident Portal where you will find links to pay your rent, create and monitor service requests, and ask any questions about your account or rental.

Contacting Haus

What is the best way to contact Haus?

The best way to contact us is through your account on the Resident Portal. You can also send us an email to

I do not have a smartphone or a computer. What is the best way to reach Haus?

If you do not have a smartphone or a computer, you can call us at (626) 609-7431 to speak to a customer service representative. If we are unavailable to answer your call, please leave us a voicemail and we will return your call as soon as possible.

When should I send a general support message? And when should I submit a service request?

A service request should be submitted when there is a physical issue in or around your home that needs to be attended to by a repair technician. You should send a general message for anything else. This might include questions about paying rent, questions about your lease, questions about renewing your lease, vacating your home, or other issues that require ongoing correspondence.

How many support messages and service requests can I have open at once?

You can submit as many service requests or support messages as you have issues. Please do not submit duplicate requests and support messages for the same issue because this will slow down our efforts to solve your problem.

What information do I need to provide when sending a general support message?

Sending a support message is just like sending an email. Simply write a subject line, description and attach any relevant files. You also need to choose a category to help us better assist you. Once you submit your support message, you can continue to send updates to the original message in the same thread. You can also continue to upload relevant files in this same thread.

How do I submit a service request?

You can submit a service request by using the Haus Resident portal (link here). You will need to provide details on the location of the issue, the type of issue (plumbing, appliance, pest control, etc.) and a complete description of the problem. Detailed descriptions that include photos and/or videos will lead to faster, more accurate service.

What information do I need to provide when I submit a service request?

You will need to provide details on the location of the issue, the type of issue (plumbing, appliance, pest control, etc.) and a complete description of the problem. Detailed descriptions that include photos and/or videos will lead to faster, more accurate service.

Is my issue an emergency?

  • Haus considers the following issues an emergency:
  • No electricity
  • No water
  • Broken or non-working exterior doors, locks, or windows
  • No heat (when outside temperature is below 50 degrees)
  • No air conditioning (when outside temperature is above 90 degrees)
  • Toilet not working (one-bathroom homes only)
  • Flooding or significant leaks
  • Inoperable refrigerator
  • Fire (call 911 immediately)
  • Burglary or robbery (call 911 immediately)

If you have an emergency, please call (626) 609-7431. Support is available 24 hours/7 days a week.

Lease Issues

How do I get a copy of my current lease?

To obtain a copy of your current lease, please submit a request through the Haus Resident Portal or email.

How will I know if my lease changes?

You will receive a 30-day notice if there are any changes to your lease, including monthly rent increases, new annual local rent board fees, etc.

How do I add or remove another person to my lease agreement?

To add or remove a person to your lease agreement, you must be a lease signatory and either submit a request via the app or online Resident Portal under the category Lease Questions, or email a request to A Haus associate will guide you through the required steps. Please note that (depending on the discretion of each property owner) new additions to lease agreements may need to formally apply and complete a screening and background check.

How do I add or remove a pet?

To add or remove a pet, please either submit a request using the Resident portal (link here) under the category Lease Questions, or email

Rent & Payment Issues

When is rent due?

Rent is due on the first day of the month, unless your lease agreement dictates otherwise.

Is there a late fee if I fail to pay rent on time?

Yes, there is a late fee. Please refer to your lease agreement for specific information on the late fee amount.

Can I pay my rent online?

Yes, this is preferred. If you already have an account set up in our Resident Portal, you can log in and pay at any time.

If you don’t yet have an account set up, you can begin the set-up process by going to the Resident Portal and clicking Sign Up. You will need to have a government-issued ID and supply us with your home address so that we can verify your identity.

Alternatively, you can email and include your full name, address, and a copy of your government-issued ID. Once we’ve verified your identity, we’ll create an account for you. You’ll then receive an invitation to access your Resident Portal.

Does Haus accept credit card payment for my rent?


What kinds of credit cards does Haus accept?

We accept Visa, Mastercard, American Express, and Discover.

I’m unable to pay my rent via the online portal.

If you are unable to pay your rent online, please try enabling cookies on your browser. If this does not solve your problem, please send a message to (Email Us) or submit a support request using the Resident Portal.

Can I pay rent with cash?

Answer coming soon

What if I want to mail my rental payment to Haus?

We accept payment via physical mail. The most efficient way to pay your rent is online. If you must pay your rent via check, please reference the mailing address listed in your lease agreement. Include the property address and unit on your check.

What is an NSF fee?

NSF stands for non-sufficient funds.  We will charge an NSF fee for a failed payment attempt if there are not enough funds in your account at the time of payment processing.  The amount of the NSF fee is listed in your lease.

How are utilities handled under Haus?

Utilities may be set up in a variety of ways, depending on where you live and the wishes of the property owner.  In many cases, residents will be responsible for contacting the utility companies, transferring the bills directly to their names, and paying any associate fees.  A description of the most common alternative variations appears below.  In all cases, you should reference your lease for specifics.

  • Flat Rate Billing. If your utilities are set up this way, you will receive a monthly recurring charge on your ledger for the same amount each month.
  • Sub-Metered Variable Billing. If your utilities are set up this way, you will receive a monthly charge on your ledger each month that varies based on the amount of utilities cost incurred.
  • Separately Metered Utilities in the Resident’s Name. If your utilities are set up this way, you will need to contact the utilities company, set utilities up in your name, and pay the bill directly to the utility companies each month.
  • Separately Metered Utilities in the Property Owner’s Name. If your utilities are set up this way, the property owner will pay utilities for you, but you will be responsible for reimbursing the property owner directly. Situations may vary, but you will either need to pay Haus (who will then pay the property owner) or (in rare circumstances) arrange to pay the property owner directly.
  • Ratio Utility billing system (RUBS). If you live in a multi-family complex, your utilities may be RUBS-based. This means that the utilities for the entire complex will be split equally each month between all residents of the complex based on usage. RUBS-based utilities charges will appear on your ledger each month, and bill amounts will vary.

We know that utilities payments can be complicated, so please submit a support request via the Resident Portal with any questions.

What if I have mistakenly paid rent to the owner this month instead of to Haus?

If you believe you have sent all or a portion of your monthly rent to the owner, please send us proof of payment via the Resident Portal or via email. Once we receive the necessary documentation, we can help to reconcile payments.

I was given a 3-Day Notice to Vacate. What do I do now?

Upon service of the notice, you will have three business days to either submit the payment amount specified on the notice of vacate the premises. If you believe you were served a 3-Day Notice in error, please contact us immediately via the Resident Portal.

Common Questions

Can I rent a parking space?

Some of our rental properties have parking spaces available to rent, but availability will vary on a property by property basis. Please submit a request via the Resident Portal or to (Email Us) inquire.

Can I switch parking spaces?

In most cases, parking assignments are not flexible. Haus is happy to assess each request. To inquire, please submit a request via the Resident Portal, or email

Can I change apartments within the building?

Switching to another unit in your building is sometimes possible on a case-by-case basis, depending on both owner discretion and availability. First, we need to review your current lease agreement to ensure that you are legally able to make the change. In addition, you will need to meet the rental criteria for the new unit (if different from your existing unit) and re-qualify.

My neighbor is too loud. How do I report this issue?

If your neighbor is too loud, you can send a general support message via the Resident Portal describing your concern.

In order to increase the likelihood of swift action, please submit audio or video recording(s) documenting the date(s) and time(s) of the issue. If you feel there is a safety concern, please contact your local police department.

How do I report pest issues in my apartment?

To report pest issues in your apartment, submit a service request via the Resident Portal with details of the issue. Providing thorough details and attaching relevant photos or videos will increase the likelihood of a fast and efficient solution.

I want to sublet my apartment. What steps do I need to take?

Unless your lease states otherwise, we do not allow you to sublet your apartment. If you have questions about our policies, please submit a support request via the Resident Portal.
If you need to add a person to your lease, please contact us via the online Resident Portal for directions on the application and qualification process.

How often are property inspections done?

Interior inspections are conducted annually. Additional inspections may be required by local municipalities, as permitted by state law, or as arranged with residents.

Moving Out

How do I move out?

Provide notice of your intent to vacate through the Resident portal at (link here) (see category Notice to Vacate). Alternatively, you may email with your desired move-out date.  Your Resident Services Manager will guide you through the required steps. If your lease is expiring soon or you’re on a month-to-month lease, you can provide notice at any time, but most leases do require 30 days advance notice before moving out.  You’ll be responsible for rent during the period covered by the notice. If your lease is not expiring soon and you wish to break your lease, contact us online through your resident Portal at (link here) or email us at . Your resident Services Manager will explain your options. When you submit your notice to vacate, you will need to provide the following:
  • Your intended move out date
  • You forwarding address (for after you move)
On move out day, you will need to:
  • Make sure you have paid all outstanding balances on your account
  • Stop any auto-payments you may have set up
  • Cancel any utilities in your name
  • Leave your home in the condition you received it (as verified by your original move-in inspection report), less any standard wear-and-tear
  • Send a photo of the location of all keys, access cards, and remotes that you were issued and to your Resident Services Manager (via either the Resident Portal or email at )
  • For single-family homes, send a photo of the current state of the property landscaping to your Resident Services Manager (via either the Resident Portal (link here) or email at
  • Confirm via phone, text, or email that you have vacated the property

How many days advance notice do I need to provide before vacating my apartment?

Leases vary, so please refer to your lease agreement to determine the length of notice required prior to vacating. In most cases, a 30-day notice is required.

What should I do if I want to end my lease early, before the lease term is up?

This would be considered a lease break. Please check the details of your lease for a lease break or lease buyout agreement. If your lease does not specify a mandatory fee or process, local or state laws will determine your financial responsibilities. In the majority of cases, you will be responsible for the remainder of the rent amount until the lease expires or until the unit is reoccupied. Please contact us online through your Resident Portal at (link here) or email us at, and your Resident Services Manager will explain your options.

How do I handle the key exchange upon move-out?

On the day you move out, you should follow the instructions provided by your Resident Services Manager. You may either be asked to leave the keys in the unit and lock it on your way out or leave the keys in a smart lockbox provided by Haus. You will also need to send us a photo of the key location on your way out. Please do not bring the keys to our office, as this will require us to return the keys to the property and charge you for the added expense.

If I surrender keys early, will my rent be prorated?

No. If you surrender keys and leave the home early, you are still obligated to pay rent through the end of the lease and/or the period covered by the notice to vacate.

What happens if I do not surrender keys?

If you do not surrender keys, you have not officially moved out. You will continue to be charged rent and will be charged for key replacements.

If I move out early and surrender keys, do I need to keep utilities on in my name until the end of the lease?

Yes, as per your lease agreement, the resident is responsible for the utilities until the lease ends. Haus will take over the utilities once the lease ends.

How will my security deposit return work?

If you submitted a security deposit upon move-in, a check will be mailed to the new address you provide, less any fees as stipulated in your lease and charges for damages.

What fees and charges might be applied to my security deposit?

Fees and charges will vary based on your individual lease agreement.  Check your lease agreement for detail, but (depending on your location) fees may include:

  • Move-in/move-out inspection & reporting fees
  • Security deposit disposition completion fees
  • Lease preparation/processing fees
  • Make-ready/R&M coordination fees

Charges to a resident will also vary, but may include:

  • Cleaning charges
  • Carpet cleaning charges
  • Trash hauling charges
  • Light bulb replacement charges
  • Landscaping charges
  • Painting charges
  • Wall repair charges
  • Repair and maintenance charges

Note that neither of these lists is comprehensive. Please check your lease for details.

How long does it take to get my security deposit back?

State laws vary, and we process all security deposition dispositions and accounting statements within the timeframe required by local law. In most cases, we aim to process them within 14 days of move out, but (depending on how long it takes our vendors to provide final invoices) exact time frames may vary.

Do you show my property before I move out?

In general, we do not show properties while a resident is still living in the home. There may be exceptional cases where the property owner would like to show the property while the resident is still living there. If this is the case, we will contact you to discuss the situation prior to moving forward. Please note that Haus reserves the right to place a lockbox and a sign outside of the property prior to the expiration of the lease.

Technical Support

How do I register for the resident portal?

If you are a lease signatory for your property, you can sign up for an account using the Sign-Up option listed on (link here). Please follow the prompts in the portal.

Skip to content